Sunday, September 13, 2009

IT's about time to change the bike over for winter cycling! FUN is on the way!

Its September 13th and it is raining in Anchorage; actually it has been raining off and on for days. We had some great afternoons last week with some rain spread out throughout the day. Then the weekend arrived and it started to rain enough to make riding a little uncomfortable. I admit, I haven't been on the bike this weekend, no real reason, just haven't been on the bike.

Since it is the middle of September we should be seeing the first thin layer of snow on the mountains behind the house. There are three level, 2000 feet, 4000 feet and about 8000 feet. We call the first hint of snow termination dust because it is said to be the time with the miners and trappers during the 1800's knew they had about 6 weeks to get out of the mountains or they would be snowbound for the winter. Now we just look for it because it is the real end of summer and our very short fall. It used to mean that it was time to put the bikes away, or on put them the trainers for a dry ride inside.

In the past few years the city has been much better about grooming the bike paths and some of the sidewalks, not great but better. Last winter I was able to get the State to plow the bike paths and the sidewalks that, as it turns out, were their responsibility. I still don't understand how the State can own roads within the Municipality, but the do. In the past they (the State) has done little to nothing about keeping their parts of the roads and sidewalks snow free.

I find it interesting that Anchorage, being a very northern city, has a very poor street/sidewalk cleaning program. Last year I was able to find a State deputy person who did what he could to assist with the plowing and it was so great to have clean sidewalks and bike paths between my house and work.

Because of the success last year I decided to try again this year and it turns out that my contact has retired or been fired. So, being an avid cyclist I am, and an optimist, I have emailed the new person, that was three weeks ago, and still haven’t heard back. I will send out another email tomorrow and if I don’t get a response from the new person I will start an email campaign to State and Local representatives. There are two Councilwomen who are really great about helping out there citizens, even if they aren’t in their districts.

I am also going to Co-host a Winter Cycling Seminar with a friend, Rose. She and her husband own a small bike repair shop (out of their home) and she and I have put on several seminars with great success. So we are going to try and inspire other cyclists to take to the bike paths and ski trails this winter. The more of us who are out their riding the Municipality will have to start recognizing us and pay more attention to the needs of the cyclists, the other-abled and the wheelchair bound citizens. And I mustn’t forget the senior citizens because I am not classified as one of “THEM!”

No comments: