Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Memory of My Cycling Trip Down Historic Route 66

On August 17th last year 3 friends and I started a 24 day journey down the Historic Route 66. We all met in Chicago with the plan to drive to Grant Park, cycle around the park, find the sign that marks the beginning of Route 66 (I can't remember what street) then drive to Joliet, Illinois where the ride would in earnest.

I have a lot of memories from this ride, I had such a ball and I will eventually get them written down but the one that has been in the fore-front of my mind lately happened outside of Baxter Springs, Kansas. We spent the night in Baxter Springs and I was up and ready to ride earlier than the others. We had a S.A.G wagon, a Chevy Avalanche with an enclosed trailer in tow. It was great to have the truck but it meant that every third day I had to drive the truck.

Anyhow, I had head and tail lights on my bike so when I was ready I pedaled out of Baxter Springs into the crisp, early morning. I had decided the first day of the ride not to listen to my music, have a watch or cycling computer where I could see time, distance and speed. It made being in the moment easy and fun.

I was cycling in the breakout lane along the side of the road and noticed a car coming up behind me. I was surprised to see that it was IN the breakout lane. It was about a half a mile behind me and was gaining. Being suspicious I found a tree to pull up next to so if the car accelerated it would hit the tree and not me. I know, hat is a little paranoid but it was early and I was alone on the road, what's a girl to think?

The car came closer and it turned out to be a police car. The Officer stopped and I pushed my bike out to the edge of the road. He rolled down the window gave me a little salute and the following conversation took place:

"Mornin' Ma'am"

"Good Morning, Officer, may I help you?"

"Well, Ma'am, have you seen a dead body?" (Think Deep South and Southern drawl here).

(As you can image I was a little thunderstruck!) "Uhmmm, where would I have seen it? I have been traveling about 18-20 MPH, I don't have any earphones in my ears and I have been very much in the moment and haven't seen anyone. Just where is he supposed to be?"

"Well, Ma'am, we gotta call that there was a dead body along the side of this here road between Baxter Springs and that there trestle like structure there in front of you. Lady said she saw a dead body on this side of the road.”

“Well, if I happen to see this person what do you want me to do?”

“Well, Ma’am, you can call the Police back there in ‘Baxta’ Springs and they will let me know, or, if you see him after you pass under that there trestle you can call the Police in Quapaw, Oklahoma, the next town down the road about 5 miles down the road. Or you can dial 911 and let them call me.”

“Well, Officer, if I use my cell phone I will get 911 in Anchorage, Alaska. ‘Oh, well, Ma’am, just ask anyone there where the Police station is, they will help you out.”

“I will, Officer. You know maybe he just had too much to drink and laid down to take a short nap before going home.”

“You might be right, Ma’am. You have a good day now!”

That was the end of the conversation; he turned the patrol car around and headed back to Baxter Springs, Kansas. I was still a bit dumbfounded but then I started to laugh. I laughed all the way to Quapaw, and then to the outskirts of Tulsa. What great day! What an extraordinary day!

(Note, I watched the newspapers the 2 days we were in Tulsa and never did see anything about a “dead body” along side the road outside of Quapaw or Baxter Springs, so I guess the short nap  worked and the “body” went home!)

No comments: